Patience.
Patience.
Patience.
I thought I was a patient person before I had children. Wrong. Terribly wrong.
Helena saw me the most during my teaching years. I had some students with very difficult personalities. Imagine twelve through fourteen year olds all day long coming in your classroom. Boys and girls grouped together. The last thing they wanted to do sometimes was learn about subjects and predicates. But we made it through together, and I thought to myself, "You got this patience thing, Christina. Motherhood should be easy compared to teaching." Wrong again.
I sit down to rock Philomena to sleep. Tobias takes the opportunity to look at me, and then I know trouble is going to begin. Here are his options:
1. Knock down Sissy's blocks.
2. Climbs in an area that he shouldn't be climbing.
3. Demands for a snack.
The list could go on. Then I start to wonder how in the world I will be able to put Philomena to sleep. I remember I just need to be patient, plan accordingly so I have a free 15 minutes, and remember he just wants my attention sometimes.
"There is nothing that Jesus desires more than that you receive Him in Holy Communion very often--every day, if possible. When He gave us the Eucharist the night before He died, He pleaded, 'Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, unless it abide in the vine, so neither can you, unless you abide in me. I am the vine; you are the branches.' Therefore, no prayer can be more effective than that said after Holy Communion when Jesus is present in your heart as God and Man, as your Best Friend, ready to listen to you and to help you with the many graces He wishes to grant you." (A Novena of Holy Communions" Fr. Lovasik)
We thought that patience and meekness go hand in hand so we have been praying to grow in these particular virtues.
I can definitely see growth in both Jordan and I with being more patient with each other and with the children.
Thank you again dear sisters for this wonderful gift!

I bought this book right after I read your post! I've been thinking about a Valentines Day gift for Andy, and this sounds perfect for the two of us! Thank you for posting this :)
ReplyDeleteGreat idea! I think you will both like it. With our busy schedules as parents, focusing more on Communion is something we can handle more. :) We are heading into our third Sunday. The first two Sundays focused on Christlikeness and Marylikeness.
ReplyDelete