Sunday, June 8, 2014

Philomena is One!

Although Philomena is one, she still seems like a baby to me.  I think Magdalene and Tobias agree that she is the still the baby, but she sure is mobile (and they are NOT pleased with her mobility whatsoever)!  Magdalene can't envision right now all the lovely tea parties she will have with Philomena.  She is just trying to keep the baby away from her coloring, her princesses, and whatever she is playing with.  But she sure loves to choke, I mean, hug Philomena.  Tobias kind of follows in Magdalene's footsteps.  "No, baby.  I'm playing."  "No, baby.  That my Thomas."  "No, baby.  That mine!" 

However, the children and the rest of the family have greatly enjoyed celebrating Philomena's birthday twice!  We love parties and bringing family together.  I even managed to send a copy of the invitation out to my side of the family.  (Side note:  I know you would love to come.  I pray one day you can come to a party we have for the children.  Just know that you are loved by us)

We haven't introduced grains of any sort and sugary items besides fruit to Philomena's diet as of yet, so her birthday was quite a treat!  On her birthday day, we celebrated with coconut flour cupcakes.  And you know what, they tasted great!  I usually dislike using that flour, but I think the extra dose of honey in the recipe made them tasty!  We decided that would make an excellent smash cake on her birthday party day and have the family watch her eat away. 

On her birthday, we took a birthday stroll to the park and did some simple decorations.  It was peaceful and nice.  We videochatted with my mother, and she had the chance to watch Magdalene, I mean Philomena, open presents.  Magdalene loves to be extra helpful since baby can't do it.  My sisters had the chance to watch Philomena open her presents the previous weekend.  She really didn't have an interest in ripping the paper, but I think by Christmas she will love to do it. 

We decided to go with the theme of "A Very Hungry Catepillar" by Eric Carle. Love the book, look the author/illustrator's work, and this book best described her growth this year! 

Jordan and I worked as a team!  Go Team Jacobs!  It was the most peaceful setup and prep ever!  Normally, I have some kind of   "Oh no, this cake tastes terrible"  or "This decoration just doesn't look right" kind of moment.  Brenda witnessed it one year.  So sorry again, Brenda!  But I have learned to let go and realize things don't always go as planned.  Jordan and I have come to the conclusion that I enjoy decorating more, and he enjoys crafting cakes.  You know what....he is talented!  Plus, it gives him an opportunity to get his baking itch out of the way. 

I am going to flood this post with pictures, but I think my sisters will appreciate it.  Pai, I apologize in advance for all the pictures.  haha! 

"A mother's rarest jewels are her children."  I deeply, whole-heartedly agree. 

Philomena, you are such a joy to us.  You already demonstrate the desire to pray with us.  It simply amazes me to see you crawl over near us and sit still while we pray.  You love when Daddy blesses you with holy water.  It makes you smile and giggle.  You don't always show your silly, smiley side to everyone.  You actually reserve that part of yourself for the ones closest to you.  You grunt and get upset with you brother when he takes toys away from you.  I think you might grow more like your godmother, and you will easily defend yourself against your siblings.  Sorry Brenda!  You love to snuggle.  You know that I love that.  And by far, you are Daddy's little girl.  You make him smile and feel so loved.  You have two best friends waiting for you to walk soon.  Magdalene is waiting to play princess and dolls with you.  Tobias will play tractors, trains, and dinosaurs with you.  I prayed for a beautiful cherub.  You are too cute.  Don't lose your chub too quickly.  Even though you are only in the 15th percentile for height, don't feel bad.  You follow in a long line of short tias and a grandmother.  We look forward to seeing you blossom and watching you change from a baby to a toddler.





This is how I get around.  I take my caboose out and here we go!  Tobias is sitting in the very back. 


 LOVED her cupcake!



A first in our household:   one year old with four teeth!  The other two had only two teeth until around 15 months. 
 "Da!  Da! DA! DA!"  She was trying to get Jordan's attention while he was mowing. 


After we took Philomena to her appointment, we separated and took a child on a date.  Jordan took Magdalene to the carousel and enjoyed pretzels and cheese.  He even helped her pick out a few new church dresses.  I took Tobias and Philomena to Barnes and Noble (love that place), and played with the train track there.  He got a new train at the very end. 
 We love our little man! 



 Assembling the caterpillar cake



 Philomena's grain free, delicious smash cake! 
 Magdalene the butterly! 
























If you got wings, flaunt them!






I immediately thought of Uncle Jesse from Full House when I saw this picture.  "Have mercy!"  I think she was overly excited to bite that cake!






I was full for two meals after eating this cake.  I didn't eat supper or breakfast the next day. 


Friends and my godson joined us. 
















 

2 comments:

  1. Most adorable thing I've ever seen...Bear was there eating cake in spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for sharing this!!! I love reading your updates and seeing all of the wonderful photos. I definitely teared up. All of you look so great and so happy, especially the birthday girl!!

    Love and miss all of you terribly!!!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome Blessed Charles Joseph of Nashua!!!

    Sharing an Ice Cream after successful Lab Test Results!  The Geese were "Good Listeners" Visited Jesus at St. Patrick's Ca...